PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abingdons Alive still
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2003, 11:44
oag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
np
further to your request for Abbo memories...read on.
Just been flicking through my "small"[???]collection of mags and saw article & picture of SUKHOI 26,CCCP-5201 being delivered to Richard Goode at Abingdon in January 1991.
Re. the Lanc on maintenance there in '84...in late-February[I think]of that year I was on a base-tour of Abingdon with a local enthusiast society,which,so far as Iam aware,no longer exists.After looking at the various Jags etc we taken out to the ramp outside 'F' Shed where PA474 was standing in all her glory awaiting engine checks.I remember it being an extremely foggy morning and those members who had brought their cameras proceeded to capture the ol' girl on film with the aid of FLASH.Within minutes there was the sound of sirens filtering through the murk as the RAF Abingdon fire & crash rescue crews approached the Lanc at great speed.Apparently,someone in Air-Traffic had seen some flashes of light in the area around the Lanc & fearing the worst,decided to investigate.Obviously it was the photographers who'd generated the problem,& once everything had been confirmed as NOT on fire,the group was given a stern lecture as to the advisability of using flash photography near a valuable historic aircraft which was being prepared for action

Finally,to anyone else reading this,please give Neil all the support you can...he's doing a great job and deserves all the support he can get...see you on May 2nd
COLIN-OXFORDSHIRE AVIATION GROUP