PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky SB-1 flies for first time
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2022, 16:19
JohnDixson

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
The USN qualification process* included a structural demonstration maneuver called “ Turn on a Spot “, the short description of which is: at a hover put in a pedal force of 180 lbs in each direction ( multiple maneuvers ) and after one complete turn put in an opposite pedal force of 180 lbs to stop the turn rate.
( One can suspect the lineage of this requirement by the 180 lb force requirement )
*Mil-D-23222
Anyhow, I can’t recall the max turn rate in either direction, but its higher than 30 deg/sec as the requirement actually results in a full pedal application and the control application time for all these maneuvers is written as 0.3 seconds. (Its better to be the pilot for all this stuff).

Structurally, the initial full right pedal turn produces the highest loads, concurrent with the application of full left pedal to stop the turn, and I think, but am not 100% certain that the limiting parameter for that full maneuver was the tail rotor torque “do not exceed” limit, which was not a static strength number but a fatigue strength number. The message then is, keeping the turn rates to 30 deg/sec and doing them at a frequency ( number of occurrences per so many flight hours ) will permit the tail rotor component lives to be within the stated number of hours.

I do not recall what the max turn rates for either direction were, but they were high. BTW,

There is another yaw maneuver required by both services ( with similar instructions from both ) and called a Dynamic Yaw Maneuver. Not related to this question, but send a PM and I will respond.