PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Intercepting from Above
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2003, 10:44
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been following this thread from the outset keithl, as you would probably have expected. I'm concerned by the use of the phrase "but only where specifically published". If it is indeed published, it suggests that the procedure was deliberately designed that way. If so, it is very bad practice because of rate of descent considerations.

However, the phrase is a bit of a catch-all type of statement that might be employed by ATC. Or even as a local area restriction for noise abatement or due to a need to avoid Restricted airspace, or some such thing. I can't see any situation where a procedure designer would deliberately require an intercept from above, unless there was a note relating to maximum IAS to limit the rate of descent a bit.

Aside from obstacle protection, the main consideration with an ILS procedure design is to allow aircraft to be stabilised on the approach as early as possible. I'll keep monitoring this thread in the hope that someone can provide an example of a published requirement to intercept from above.