PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kununurra accident
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2022, 13:56
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Duck Pilot
Without speculating with regards to the cause of the accident and I have no idea anyway, however I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if it was identified that the root cause of the accident was a battery fire.

Having done a fair bit of investigation very recently into this specific hazard, I come to the conclusion that there is currently nothing available to contain a smoking battery or anything worse in a large aircraft, the fact is that absolutely nothing suitable (TSO certified) is available to contain these fires in flight.

I’ve also asked a good contact in CASA about this issue, and his response was that CASA currently have nothing approved and use the recommended advice that is currently available on their website. As far as the airlines go, their procedures are to throw the smoking device into an urn, toilet, pour water on it or worse case scenario piss on it to cool it down. Situation in a GA aircraft, you’ve got a serious emergency being a cabin fire.

This should be a game changer if it’s found that this caused the accident.
Not entirely correct, so far as I'm aware there are no fire containment bags available that are TSO certified, I'm not even sure if there is a TSO certification to cover it exactly but there are a large range of these products approved for many different industries and ones that meet quite a few FAA requirements such as the Fire Containment Bags made by Brimstone, not a bad idea to have one on board if you have multiple devices or carry pax. There are however covers available that are TSO-C203 certified such as the ones from AMSafe and Newtex but these are obviously intended for much larger cargo situations.

None of this matters though if you don't get to in time unfortunately.