PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linton on Ouse
Thread: Linton on Ouse
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2022, 12:25
SATCOS WHIPPING BOY

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Actually I can sympathise with those at Linton - the letter from the MP makes a sound case without resorting to scaremongering or cherry picking individual immigrants crimes.

The plan for Linton is massively flawed as is Patel's whole immigration policy - I think those in the area are right to object but it should be for the right reasons and not by 'echo-chamber' comments reflecting the lazy end of the intellectual argument.
Without doubt Crab, the main problems stem from the complete "out of the blue" aspect to this, an MP who assures us he knew nothing of it, and the complete paucity of hard information other than:

- Upwards of 500 single males (this has now increased to 1500).
- No start date. This has now been clarified as within the next 6 weeks.
- suggestion that he "guests" were already processed and awaiting allocation. Clarified to they are still in the process and nothing has been decided as though their future.
-The secrecy and the way the locals have been treated has generated the fear.
- the area is not renowned for crime, not had anything serious in my tenure here. Similar sites elsewhere have seen crime rise and the 16 or so listed above are serious ones that the govt reassure us won't happen.
So why any surprise that people think the worst.

This is devastating for such a small community who will have a migrant population ratio of around 3:2 !
Furthermore it actually goes against Home Office's own guidance.