PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kununurra accident
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2022, 09:19
Duck Pilot

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Dora-9
A rumour going around (and I stress that it was told to me second-hand) that the sequence started with a cabin fire caused by a lithium battery in a laptop.
Without speculating with regards to the cause of the accident and I have no idea anyway, however I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if it was identified that the root cause of the accident was a battery fire.

Having done a fair bit of investigation very recently into this specific hazard, I come to the conclusion that there is currently nothing available to contain a smoking battery or anything worse in a large aircraft, the fact is that absolutely nothing suitable (TSO certified) is available to contain these fires in flight.

I’ve also asked a good contact in CASA about this issue, and his response was that CASA currently have nothing approved and use the recommended advice that is currently available on their website. As far as the airlines go, their procedures are to throw the smoking device into an urn, toilet, pour water on it or worse case scenario piss on it to cool it down. Situation in a GA aircraft, you’ve got a serious emergency being a cabin fire.

This should be a game changer if it’s found that this caused the accident.