PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low Altitude IFR Route Structure and Approaches For Helicopters
Old 20th Apr 2022, 22:36
JohnDixson

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
h-n, it seems you face no problems integrating into the local IFR structure. Have I misinterpreted the situation? But in any case, there has been significant discussion over time regarding the establishment of unique low altitude routes for helicopters. With equipment such as you have, such routes could be easily flown if available. Comment?
Re the initial and periodic training for IFR, how does your operation handle that subject?
Thanks for your information-it sounds like you all have made yourselves well prepared.

Awhile ago, I had an experience with the local New York area ATC authorities that illuminated their opinions on the subject.
USN Capt. Bill Stuyvesant and I were sent over to Westland in early 1974 to fly the WG-13 Lynx, as the USN at the time was thinking LAMPS at that aircraft size. The day we were to fly it was 300/ 3/4 and a steady rain. This would be one of their test ships and it was a demo, but also part of a vibration survey with some upgrade solution for that issue. Pilot was Asst Ch Pilot Roy Mohammed. Roy briefed the flight and we both got to fly the machine for maybe 45 minutes, after Roy would do the vibration card maneuvers. Both flights were in cloud.
I returned to Connecticut all pumped up about how Westland does the more straightforward test flights IFR and with radar flight following etc….why can’t we? We had an employee named Ted Dumont, hired in from the FAA and out liaison back to them. Knew his job and the FAA. He made overtures to his acquaintances at NY Center and it was a very short meeting, not in favor of the helicopter.
But I’ve always thought that Nick Lappos was absolutely right on this subject as far as helicopter operations were concerned. Getting the FAA exercised to advance this technology is the challenge.

Last edited by JohnDixson; 22nd Apr 2022 at 16:52.