PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moskva down
Thread: Moskva down
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2022, 21:58
NutLoose

Received 2,938 Likes on 1,252 Posts
Originally Posted by lelebebbel
Does anyone here feel qualified to estimate what effect a 150kg Neptune warhead, plus residual fuel, would have on the occupants of a ship this size when it detonates under the deck?
Just going with what seems pretty certain, that at least one Neptune exploded most likely somewhere in or under the main superstructure, what kind of blast wave and fire would one get before considering secondary explosions, and what could be the survivability under deck?

No idea, BUT an Exocet has about 165kg and you saw Falklands wise what two did to the Conveyor which was a larger ship.

I read somewhere the Helicopter flew some people off but i cannot find the link, if it was a flagship it makes sense to transfer command however the picture below shows the deck rigged for helicopter operations, Ie, railings dropped and flag staff, they are up on the burning ship pictures, but in an emergency I could see anything possible and a contra rotating rotor has no tail rotor low down to worry about, it gives you a clear view of the aft torpedo door too, so a fire in that area could be bad news

ok translation. (this is what the Neptune was developed from)

Ocean rescue tug project 1452 "Mashuk" of the Pacific Fleet after launching Kh-35U missiles from Su-34 aircraft
damage

Last edited by NutLoose; 19th Apr 2022 at 22:12.