PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linton on Ouse
Thread: Linton on Ouse
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2022, 20:32
SATCOS WHIPPING BOY

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Baldeep Inminj
I do not have a link unfortunately. I was watching parliament live and she was asked if she could confirm whetyher the Asylum Centre at the former RAF linton on Ouse would be happening. She replied that it would, and that it would happen within 6 weeks.
Thanks for looking. I have found hansard from today and it just says "opening shortly". Could be a misquote in Hansard (unusual) but have heard the 6 weeks mentioned from 3 sources now but cannot find the root.

In other news from another site...

A centre was set up in a hotel [Rivenhall Hotel, Witham] Priti Patel's constituency . This centre was quickly closed.
A Home Office statement said:
"Asylum seekers should be placed in urban areas which encompass a number of cities or towns so that they can access support easier.""This error was the result of operational failures where the correct policy and procedures were not followed. The Home Office has a statutory obligation to provide asylum seekers who would otherwise be destitute with accommodation. But they should be placed in major conurbations wherever possible so that appropriate support and services can be more readily provided. As this is not the case in this instance, alternative accommodation provision has since been sought in accordance with the Immigration Asylum Act 1999 and the Asylum Support Regulations 2000. A full review of this operation is now being conducted."

The Home Office said there was "a failure to recognise that Rivenhall was not in a major conurbation, and a failure to ensure that appropriate engagement had taken place with council officials and other service providers".

So I do wonder how RAF Linton on Ouse meets the criteria. Oh, hang on, Priti Patel doesn't reside here.