PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bournemouth-5
Thread: Bournemouth-5
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2022, 15:19
RW20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flitefone
Lots on the web about what each conversion will be, both the Avensis web site and in the trade press and on Linkedin. the EASA STC for the conversion is expected Q2 2022, which fits with the EASA deadline. It seems that the 10 or so conversions sold to Maleth are for the Flight service A330 and the European Cargo A340 fleets, none of which are slated for the Main Deck Cargo Door. Cabin fire detection and suppression systems will be a big part of the STC. I'd expect the EASA certification to be ahead of UK CAA, so the Malta registered fleet probably first for conversion.

More interesting will be the impact on available capacity from August 1st. Several carriers will then cease to fly main deck cargo; Wamos (Spain) Hi-Fly (Malta/Portugal) Smartlynx and AirHub from the Baltics. Apparently some 40 aircraft affected in Europe (including Lufthansa and BA). This will bolster demand for the freighters remaining in service.

Its not yet clear to me at least whether the UK CAA exemption for cargo in the cabin will expire at the same time as EASA (July 31st), which may partly explain why three of European's A340 are UK registered. Either way, it looks from info in the public domain that all the European A340 will be converted this year. Also expecting additions to the European Cargo operating fleet according to recent press reports, I'd expect these to be more A340 and possibly A330.

Also noted that BOH is adding three wide body parking stands, primarily intended for Cargo (not just European), the airport is going after the London freight market - these new stands should be in service by mid summer.

Nice to see investment by the airport in this new infrastructure and the international participation in this locally based airline.

FF
Excellent news for the airport,at least there is some investment for the South Coast that should safeguard the future for the airport.
Southampton seems still uncertain in any further developments with strong opposition