PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - About ALT and SPD Restrictions Over IAF
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2022, 02:36
Kevingee21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About ALT and SPD Restrictions Over IAF

Hello everyone!

I have a question for ATC controllers (but pilots please feel free to comment your ideas!)

The situation the other day was a flight into AMS on the NORKU2A STAR plate#10-2 (it was what we filed in the flight plan).

ATC cleared us to direct NORKU (FL280BFL200A on the chart) and explicitly told us to descend FL230 cross below FL280.

Then, before reaching NORKU, ATC cleared us to direct ARTIP (MAX250kts, FL100BFL070A or as instructed by ATC on the chart), descend FL110 and to maintain speed 300kts or greater (nothing about any ALT restrictions over ARTIP).

Two questions: ATC obviously wants us to fly fast as there was pretty much no traffic, but do the ALT and/or SPD restrictions at ARTIP still apply in this case?

When we were pretty close to ARTIP then ATC give us speed 250kts and descend FL070 but as we were close it would’ve taken probably full speedbrake to comply with restrictions (so I just reduce speed and crossed ARTIP around FL105).

Looking back I’m thinking I should have told ATC unable to comply ALT over ARTIP as my interpretation of the phrase “or as instructed by ATC” regarding the ALT should be if ATC tell us something different; in other words if ATC don’t tell us anything then the restrictions should apply.

Please if any ATC controllers or pilots here can shed some light into this situation, many thanks in advance!

KG21