PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too late for 2022?
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2022, 13:10
morno

Received 310 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by runway16
Morno, Tossbag, Global.
When you guys deal with newbee CPL holders, 200-250 hours wonders, still living at home and still in nappies with the ink still wet on their ticket you will get a real idea of how little they were taught at flight school.
You say the flight school should have taught them what it takes to be a GA Ready CPL. Who to pay? You say that the new employer should wear that cost to get them really GA Ready. The margins in GA are slim and every time that prop turns over there should be a dollar going into the till. Training to get the sprogs up to speed costs real money, time and people. Something that an operator has little of.
I suggest you go out there and talk with charter operators for their opinion. I doubt that they will be saying that they are running a flying school teaching a newbee the vary basics of what a CPL should know.
Flying Bear made the correct comment that the standard of flight training has gone down hill in recent years. In part that is not doubt because the new breed of low time instructors do not have charter experience to pass on and the older breed of experienced instructors are fading from the scene. Those are the guys who knew what the word Airmanship meant.
Cry me a river. You’re obviously a poor business person who needs to charge new CPL pilots (by the way, they ARE GA ready, it’s called having a CPL) money for a course that covers the training that you’re apparently going to get out of, to be able to stay afloat.

The standard of trainees hasn’t changed much in the last 20 years mate, nor has the ability for some ass to take advantage of people.

I’ve done GA, and I can’t say I probably had much more of a clue than any newly trained pilot now. But my employers showed me the ropes and spent the effort doing so. The fact that your existing pilots can’t sufficiently supervise a new pilot reflects badly upon your own check and training system and the GA ready course (I thought it was supposed to teach them everything? Why can’t they pass the knowledge on during ICUS?).

So basically there’s 2 conclusions:
  • You need to take a look at your business model, because it sounds like it sucks
  • You’re taking advantage of new CPL holders to pay your beer bill on Friday night in Mitchell Street.