PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2022, 22:53
tdracer

Received 211 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
In the short term Western manufacturing capability is of limited value...but if this Invasion drags out that logistics base shall prove to be critical IF it is geared up to a war time footing.

As foresight is not a stellar facet of our bloated government procurement system in the USA....let's hope the Wise Men at the Pentagon can convince the leadership of the need to cut red tape...streamline the process....and get the stuff built, shipped, and delivered to the Ukraine Forces in an expedited manner.
I read an article quite a while ago - basically said that the next big war would be fought with what you had on hand - that the lead time associated with modern weapons was so long - and their lethality so great (i.e. losses would be so massive and rapid) that by the time you could ramp up massive production (WW II style), the war would be over.
We saw that in the Middle East in the Gulf Wars - while the resultant insurgencies lasted for many years, the conventional warfare was over in days or weeks. I'm quite frankly surprised that the war in Ukraine has gone on this long - it says a lot for the quality of the Ukrainian defense (and the ineptitude of the Russian attack).