PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birdsville Races. April Edition
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2022, 06:50
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by morno
You know that you can still take a tent and camp on the town common for nothing right? Just like everyone else .
If by "Town Common" you mean the riverbank sites then yes, but you've still got to get there from your aircraft with your gear, which if I've done it right with Google, is anywhere between a 1.5km and 3.0km hike, depending where you want to throw your swag out...Just what you want after a 5 hour flight from Bankstown. Otherwise it's Tent City or the tourist park, according to their website.

Originally Posted by morno
So, basically it sounds as if none of you have been out there for years and are trying to hang onto the past?
Not really, I've never been, but would really like to go particularly now I have the RV - but with their (Council's) current attitude it ain't gonna happen, simply because I don't like being butt-phucked by anyone merely because I choose to rock up in my own plane and so am seen as "rich" and therefore, a ca$h-cow. Nor do accept the copout "security" excuse put forward by the council when you look at something like AusFly, or Old Station where they actively encourage you to camp under your wing - afterall, that (for me) would be one of the main attractions of going, the underwing camping with other fliers... It's almost as if they don't want private fliers to go there anymore, given for virtually the same $$ you could fly to Townsville and have a few nights in sunny North Qld...