PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Basic Aeronautical Knowledge questions
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2022, 03:46
Clinton McKenzie

Received 247 Likes on 125 Posts
Livin' the dream, Duck! Good point re wind direction and strength at different levels.

As the preface to the final BAK question in this series, some more facts:

Based on my GS on the reciprocal 'outbound' leg (another photograph of the GNS screen I have) the actual tailwind on descent to YCTM, from about 9,500' to about 7,500' was about 45 Kts. Based on my first hand experience with the (very slippery) aircraft, pointing downhill and trimming for VNO would usually add about 25 Kts to the GS. It was a completely relaxed descent during which the IAS never went above VNO (much less anywhere near VNE).

Final BAK question in this series:

What would you say about the basic aeronautical knowledge of someone who (purely hypothetically) decided to prosecute me for not operating VH-CFK in accordance with the flight manual – exceeding the VNE of 196 Kts IAS – because the forecast winds indicated I had a tailwind of only 30 Kts and Centre’s radar showed I had a Ground Speed of 239 Kts? I admit both: The forecast winds for the location, altitude and track were for about only 30 Kts of tailwind and my GNS430 indicated a GS of 239 Kts inbound on descent to YCTM.