PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Toddlers Flying
Thread: Toddlers Flying
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2022, 02:16
SLFMS

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Dennis at Enstrom
I grew up flying with my Dad. If we had headsets, they were junk. I wouldn't give up a minute of it because it was time with my Dad, but I'm paying the price now (age 46) with hearing issues and have been for many years.

So when I had kids I was determined not to make the same mistakes. I purchased a set of "youth" headsets, but it was pretty obvious they were just cheap copies of standard headsets with a small mic boom. Earcups, headbands, etc... were all the same. I also ran into the same problem as the OP, which as that up until about age 3 the kids wouldn't keep them on. After a couple of flights it become clear that I was spending too much time being Dad, and not enough time being PIC.

Ultimately my solution was not to fly with them unless another adult was along to manage the kids. That doesn't mean that I ignored them, but it allowed me to focus on flying when focusing on flying mattered. I know this doesn't solve the OP's problem of giving Mom a break, and it wasn't convenient for my family either, but it's what needed to happen. The good news is they grow up fast. (Later on you'll realize that's not so great.) At about age 3 things get easier on that front and they are manageable in the plane/helicopter.

A few other pro tips:

1. As mentioned above, the youth headsets are by and large junk. Just give them a set of Bose or DC's. My kids have big heads (no surprise, they are a pilot's kids) and the standard headsets worked for them at a young age.
2. As others have mentioned, the kids don't care if they are in a helicopter, airplane, car, etc... They will generally react the same in all vehicles. Don't expect any grand moments, or epiphanies. Usually they fall asleep. Extra points if you can land without waking them up.
3. Know where the pilot isolate switch is on your audio panel. This will come in especially handy when your daughter starts singing songs from Frozen at the exact moment ATC calls.
4. Four year olds are indifferent to airspace, and if you let your preschooler fly she will bust Class C as you're fumbling with your phone taking photos.
5. Bring some toys out to the hangar. Not only will the kids like going to the airport, but it will distract them during preflight so you can do your thing. Otherwise they will climb inside, slam the controls around, and flip all the switches.
6. Most car seats are designed for cars (duh!). Car seat belts latch on the side of the lap, while by and large aircraft seatbelts latch in the middle. This means that using the belts to hold car seat in can be a challenge. There are little clips that can be used to shorten one side, but they don't always work out that great and are a pain. Eventually I just put the buckle in the middle and stuffed in the padding in the back of the seat. The kids never even mentioned it, must less complained.

Great post Dennis. I am quite amazed how indifferent people are on this thread to the child’s hearing, which was the original question. Who knows what the long effects to hearing are at such a young age. If it was my child that’s not something worth compromising so I can steadfastly continue with pre kid lifestyle.
At the risk of not sounding “fun” I stand by my comment you need another adult as supervision for a child so young. As PIC you need to be focused without distraction. It’s not just about replacing the headsets.
There will be plenty of time later for Daddy/Daughter fun away trips.

Incidentally there is no chance it’s safer in a private helicopter over been in a car. Best to be realistic there.