PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield-3
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2022, 15:34
EGPO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
Is this Teeside place anywhere Teesside? One thing Teesside has that DSA doesn't is substantial backing from taxpayers money.

And even a single a/c Wizz UK base will provide substantially more seats than RYR are providing at Teesside??
I totally agree with your point, ( typo on the name Teesside noted ) but with respect , where Ryanair is concerned, one airline article suggested they have a stake in at least one European airport . And the Point being, is Ryanair could have easily bought , Teesside , rather like Stobart air , and for them it would be loose change.

So money or not it was a good result for that airport , plus Loganair. And they also have I gather got back TUI.
To negotiate such routes , means a team that wants to make things work . DSA has shown similar where the Cargo side, has truly been an incredible turn around .as I said in my last past .

That is no small achievement, from how it was .
The passanger side would benefit from a Management team can show some drive and energy seen at Teesside to drive DSA forward. ,

As an airport it has a large catchment area even as far as York to the North for example, which is easily well under an hour from Doncaster on the east coast route. And even by the much improved A1. And of course a sizeable population, not to mention prior to the lockdown there was comment I recall on how even East Midlands bemoaning the loss of passengers to DSA.

The point being is the demand is clearly there, Wizzair Indicate an intention or so had been said on another forum for potentially 5 based aircraft, next year, IF that's accurate , then that ought to be enough of an indication to potential new comers to how well received a new route or base would be .

And with airlines for example like Breeze , planning to serve only ' never served secondary airports in the UK and Europe , anything is possible .
( I use them as an example ) .

But my post was simply that I hope that whomever comes in doesn't just, pin too much hope , and rest on the laurels on the admittedly expanding product from Wizzair, especially with the military situation, so close to many destinations they serve.

DSA has a unique selling point, being so well situated, and Even just the addition of two based E175's from Flybe showed , just what that could do for yearly figures for the airport .
Indeed it encoured TUI to improve upon their offering .
Of course there are challenges and this is not intended a rose tinted view , but the building works at the airport would not be happening, if the current team did not see a busier future for the airport .