PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe-V2
Thread: Flybe-V2
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2022, 13:03
wanna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JobsaGoodun
Key to aircraft choice is surely not aesthetics, but operational capability.

There’s no question that the ATR is more economical but it’s also slower and at a curfewed airport like BHD that makes a difference. By mixing up their network Flybe will be able to get 5 return trips per day from the aircraft if they want where the ATR will likely only achieve 4.

The DH4 also offers a better option on longer routes like BHXAVN. According to GCMap this is 665 miles with a block of 2hrs 20mins. Compare that to Blue Islands ATR on JERIBZ which at 735 miles has a block of 3hrs.

I think Flybe just have a different route network for which there are advantages operating the DH4
The reality is it all comes down to cost, they had rated crews, manuals etc all derived around the Dash and its probably no shock that the leasing companies will have bitten there arms off to place the aircraft. If it was a clean slate Op with no background would they have gone Dash? Maybe, would they have gone ATR? Maybe, would they have gone for any aircraft they thought they could make work, probably. The reality is from a average joe pax perspective an ATR is the same as a Dash is the same as a Fokker. Hence my surprise that they didn't make the cabins nicer, I would choose to fly in the new easyjet cabin over BA, I would also choose to fly in the LM / Emerald Cabin over the old style Dash... IF the price was right and they were going in the direction I needed.