PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky SB-1 flies for first time
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2022, 19:03
Lonewolf_50

Received 424 Likes on 266 Posts
My Two Cents, and at the risk of being controversial: the core problem with Comanche (weight wise) was that the original LHX concept was departed from and the Army insisted on a two pilot cockpit, not a single pilot aircraft. But there ya go, that is a part of requirements being established and the US Army's mind set. Not sure if Invictus will run into this as well before all is said and done.

By the way, what the Comanche program produced was a remarkable machine (IIRC, LRIP had in fact commenced when the Army pulled the plug). The Sultan's observation on the price point bears considering - similar issues arose with F-35. I am of the opinion that the "Apache Mafia" in the US Army is what finally killed it, but opinions are like navels ...

I remember being in a room with Togo West (then Secretary of the Army) and a bunch of career Army types. The Secretary threw out this idea (mid 90's, Clinton Administration years, as money kept getting milked out of various DoD budgets) - does the Army really need Comanche? Well, long after he was replaced by someone else, Comanche was still moving forward, one milestone at a time.

V-22 Osprey ran into similar push back over the years at various points, but it made its way through all that in the end.