PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky SB-1 flies for first time
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2022, 19:44
JohnDixson

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Now that you mentioned Comanche……er…..Invictus. What’s that adage? : “ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery “ , or something like that. Curious that Invictus started out as , like a 100% look alike copy of Comanche, but then they dropped the canted ducted fan TR for a standard TR. Had they done a ducted fan before and didn’t like it?? Kind of a shame. Back in the day, when we were flying the prototype S-76 Fantail at the Paris Airshow, Nick L gave a ride in the Fantail to the Eurocopter Chief Test Pilot, and during the return flight from Le Bourget to the Paris Heliport at Issy les Moulineaux, Nick flew it at 80 KIAS in a right echelon off the UH-60 that I was flying with video camera/photographer , and on cue Nick kicked the fan around so he was now in formation, but going backwards at 80, and then after a few minutes of that, kicked it around the rest of the way to resume going down the heli-route at 80 with the nose in the correct direction again.. Nick told me later that when he did that, his French companion said the word ( phonetically here ) “ form-ee-dahl-bluh “. SA has the video somewhere.
( But we knew what he meant: Nick and I had a couple of years of high school french ).