PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2022, 11:04
BANANASBANANAS

Received 122 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by dead_pan
If this chemical attack is confirmed and if NATO does act (big if), a strike on the unit which launched the attack would be much more proportionate and appropriate IMO. I understand the chemicals were allegedly dispensed from a drone so either strike the unit itself or, if they are operating from an airfield, the base itself.

I keep saying this but if Putin wishes to escalate to pull in NATO, then there's literally nothing stopping him (at least from a military perspective). Why cobble together some half-assed chemical attack when he could easily strike a target in Poland or Romania i.e. a direct provocation? His behaviour to date suggests he's willing to push the envelope to a degree, but appears wary about over-stepping the mark, no doubt aware that NATO could sweep his forces from Ukraine without breaking sweat.
If the intelligence is good enough to positively id the launch site/airfield then I agree. But would that be a big enough statement by NATO. I think if we do something it has to be stand off, devastating (but conventional) and quick.