PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2022, 22:15
brian_dromey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewH52
Intentionally Denied Boarding?
Close - its Involuntary Denied Boarding. i.e. the airline prevented the customer from boarding despite the passenger holding a confirmed reservation and presenting themselves in good time. As opposed to a 'no-show' where the passenger didn't show up, or Voluntary Denied Boarding (VDB) where the airline and customer came to a voluntary agreement in regards to denied boarding. For the purpose of EU/UK 261 this is slightly different to cancellation, but I think the recourse available and obligations on the airline are largely the same.

My point was that the onus is on passengers to prove we have presented ourselves in good time to board the aircraft either at the check-in desk or at the gate. I wonder how it would be possible for someone travelling without checked-in baggage to prove they arrived in good time. How do you prove it was security queues that prevented you from getting to the gate on-time as opposed to spending too long in duty-free or falling asleep somewhere?

This will be interesting to watch - I think MAN and DUB look like the most likely candidates to be involved. Any rulings from EU261 will not apply automatically under UK261, so it will be interesting to see what happens if a judgement is sought by someone who misses their flight due to length security queues. Are airlines/agents at MAN rebooking people in these scenarios?