PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VOR DME Approach
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2022, 09:55
TeeS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 172_driver
Agree that discussion shouldn't be discouraged. To me this thread is going in circles.

Brief and use MDA 650. Stranger to me is that it's mentioned as VOR-appr. (and not VOR/DME).
I agree the circles 172; however, the Mumbai plate is absolutely correct to call the approach VOR RWY 32, the UK insist on doing it not in accordance with PANS-OPS but that is their prerogative! I hate to say it but here is PANS-OPS again:

9.5.2 Procedure chart identification
9.5.2.1 General. The chart identification for procedures requiring ground-based navaids shall only contain the
name describing the type of radio navigation aid providing the final approach lateral guidance. Precision approach
systems such as ILS or MLS shall be identified by the system name (ILS, MLS, etc.). If two radio navigation aids are
used for final approach lateral guidance, the chart identification shall only include the last radio navigation aid used.
For example:
if an NDB is used as the final approach fix and a VOR is used as the last navaid on the final approach to runway 06,
the procedure shall be identified as VOR Rwy 06. If a VOR is used for the initial approach followed by a final
approach to Rwy 24 using an NDB, the procedure shall be identified as NDB Rwy 24.
Note.— For chart identification of procedures supporting PBN, refer to Part III, Section 5, Chapter 1.
9.5.2.2 If additional navigation aids or equipment are required for the approach procedure, associated additional
equipment requirements shall be specified on the plan view of the chart, but not in the the chart identification.

9.5.2.2.1 The equipment requirements mentioned on the plan view refer only to the equipment on board the
aircraft necessary to conduct the procedure in normal mode (i.e. not for backup). For example:
“ADF required ” on a VOR approach.
“Dual ADF required”, on an NDB approach where two ADFs are required to fly the final approach segment.
“DME required” on a VOR approach.
9.5.2.2.2 Equipment that is required in the corresponding airspace may be mentioned as equipment requirements.

Cheers
TeeS