PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extra 230 crash Oxfordshire 2/4/22
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2022, 08:50
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Lomcevak has very reasonably pointed out just some of the very good reasons to bail out. In hindsight they are obvious but the list is not exhaustive as I’m sure he would agree. What is true in every case is that if you have the good fortune of wearing a parachute you must also learn to how to get out. If you are carry a passenger you are obliged to brief them as well. May I suggest the following? Firstly, at less than 3,000 feet make your mind up to leave as quickly as possible. Secondly, after you have decided to jump unlatch the canopy and then undo your straps. You do not need the wait for the canopy to detach. Next, if you have control, push hard and you will be flung out else jump. Lastly, the moment you are out look for your D ring and with both hands pull hard. If you have the time (and steering) you may steer the parachute to a best possible landing and/or into wind. Then prepare for the impact. In this case I believe the Extra’s canopy shattered in flight. This resulted in the pilot being blinded by canopy shards. Not being able to see to perform a landing he very sensibly decided to bail out.