PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot jailed for forging entries in his licence and logbooks
Old 9th Apr 2022, 14:35
Robbiee

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
Robbiee,

Apparently you do not know much about the Trucking Operation run by Walmart.

They run from Walmart Distribution Centers to Walmart Stores with the occasional stop on the way back to the DC to pick up drop and hook trailers at major suppliers to the DC's.

Rarely do they sleep in the trucks and when they do...they get paid extra for that.

For your standard Over the Road Truckers....you are closer to correct depending upon the Operator....and kind of hauling being done.

UPS over the road truckers work from Hubs and live at home....and have work days just as standard occupations do....and make excellent salaries with the usual Teamster benefits.

Trucking ain't all about Flying J's and Lot Lizards.
As with much of the helicopter industry, I don't have enough experience to drive for Walmart, so all I know is from their job ads.

If Walmart truckers aren't sleeping in their trucks much, then where are they sleeping on those six days a week away from home the job ads mention?

​​​​​​As for UPS? Like with Fedex (where my experience is) yes City and Road Drivers are home every night (or day as Road Driver is an overnight shift), but that's not really "over the road" sleeper cab, that's local day cab driving. Plus, those UPS jobs advertise 12 hour shifts. That's not what I'd call standard to other occupations.

As an entry level City Driver I made $21 bucks an hour with full benefits. Sure its better than every entry level job I've interviewed for flying a helicopter, but that pay doesn't cut it in the SF Bay Area,...unless you like living with your parents?

Getting to a liveable wage (let alone a middle-class one) in trucking can be just as daunting as in helicopters. However, given my experience with both industries, I'd say they both suck. To be frank, if I could make a living at it, I'd rather just drive the monorail at Disney World.