PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Volunteer Gliding School Futures
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2003, 22:08
HOODED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arclite01, Syerston operated motor gliders and a winch AND aerotow operation hapilly for years. The ATC had motor gliders and the RAFGSA club had winch, aerotow, and an ex ATC motor glider. Circuits were split by the runway the ATC guys were using with the RAFGSA operating from the grass doing opposite circuits in general.

The problem seems to be the ATC don't have enough motor gliders and they want to move a conventional gliding school in to Syerston. This obviously means the RAF guys must go!

Where will the RAFGSA club go? Well the club is split on this with some wanting to go to a civillian site at Saltby and others wishing to go to Wittering. My feeling is the club will be lost as not enough people will be prepared to move and make a go of it elsewhere. Some will go to Cranwell and some to Saltby I've even heard of Husbands Bosworth being mentioned. All very sad I'm afraid it'll just result in a smaller RAFGSA.

As for the future of the VGS's they will continue I'm certain, as they are a recruiting point for future pilots for the RAF, they may however, not continue at their current size.

Last edited by HOODED; 30th Dec 2003 at 00:02.