PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard again
Thread: Vuichard again
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2022, 14:46
[email protected]

Received 634 Likes on 276 Posts
The only way I can wrap my head around this concept of running out of power even though I'm not too heavy to hover is that I must be coming in like a screaming banchi and just wait too long to put on the brakes.

Is this it?
Pretty much Robbiee - when you are pushed for power, you need to make a gentle, level decel to an OGE hover so you are using power to balance weight/mass and a little to slow you down. gentle application of aft cyclic will tilt the disc a little and not reduce the vertical component of that rotor thrust and you will have a small benefit from flare effect.

With a screaming Jesus quickstop, you are initially holding the aicraft up with lots of flare effect which generates enough rotor thrust to balance the weight/mass and slow you down.

As the flare effect reduces with speed in the decel, you need to replace it with collective pitch to keep balancing the weight/mass and increase the rotor thrust.

In an ideal world, you gradually feed in the power and reduce the flare until you get to your OGE hover with no problem.

If you are late with the lever, the aircraft is starting to sink and now you need a big, rapid application of power to stop you AND control the height - it can require more power than you have available and that's when settling with power kicks in, the Nr starts to decay, more lift is lost and down you go as per the 412 video.

It is really about controlling inertia - if you ease off the gas in your car a long way ahead of a stop light you can brake gently all the way to the stop. If you keep the gas pedal down until the last moment, you'd better have really good brakes.

The analogy with the 412 video is that drove like he had carbon ceramic brakes when he really had sh8tty drum brakes that needed new shoes.