PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport delays due to staffing
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2022, 09:30
barry lloyd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HOVIS
Are you suggesting that staff have their rosters altered every 24 hrs to fit the precise number of passengers expected?
I don't know about you but I expect my employer to give me a roster and stick to it for months/years. I'm quite happy to do the odd bit of overtime when it suits me but being told to 'come in on late shift tomorrow instead of early shift' for example, with only 24hrs notice would get tiresome pretty quickly.
You are right, HOVIS, but as I'm sure you know if you work in that part of the industry, it doesn't always work that way. Staff sickness (now more than ever, with the ability for people to phone in and say they have Covid when they just want a day off), and holidays are the minimum staffing problems. Late flights, diversions, additional flights. Throw them into the mix and staffing becomes a real problem. Perhaps if the handling agents paid their staff a decent living wage, the staff in return would be more flexible. Given the responsibility involved, the salaries for ground staff are pathetic, but with some operators in aviation these days, it's simply a race to the bottom.