PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will Australia ever have a good airline again?
Old 8th Apr 2022, 07:01
unobtanium

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by extralite
I am sure even the Qantas crews must despair at just how far has Qantas fallen from the days it was seen as a bit more reliable and efficient than the others. As posted a couple of months ago, flew back into Sydney International terminal when the airport was quite busy. Qantas transit was closed no explanation and hundreds of weary travelers lined up.. Staff member walked by but couldn't organize busses after an hour of arm waving. Many of the self check-in machines were weren't working. No staff to help. Domestic check-in lines for international transit were very long and many missed their flights while a Qantas staff member roamed around telling the line to keep moving as if it weren't the lack of check in staff that was the problem. Only 4 check-in staff on duty and i stood behind one who took 25 minutes to check one guy in because there was a dispute over his cabin bagged being 2kg over the limit...the Qantas check-in was more belligerent than the passenger.

Now it's CEO is blaming passengers for the long lines because they aren't "match-fit" and getting their laptops out: https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...07eda47882b65e

Meanwhile passengers are showing up 4 hours early and still missing their flights. https://www.reddit.com/r/australia/c...rport_4_hours/

Obviously Sydney Airports is responsible for a lot of this. God knows a $35 billion company can't afford too have too many security staff on the cheapest tenderers payroll at $25 an hour or whatever they make. But between SAC, Qantas and Border Force, Sydney Airport is an embarrassment to Australia. The "Spirit of Australia" must be a penny pinching, bureaucratic, over-regulated excrement fight. I hope Qantas gets better, i know a lot of people are prepared to pay a bit more to get a more premium service even if that means just less flights cancelled for "technical" or "operational" reasons, but right now we have a whole lot of budget airlines with no point of difference between them.
Don't blame the frontline staff, be it contractors, part timers or whatever's left of qantas experience'd staff they are all doing the best they can. blame the managers and exec's who made this mess, all those meetings and they counldn't of planned for this mess, should just fire the lot cant even organsise a chook raffle too busy sipping latte's between zumba yoga classes at HQ.