PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rex emergency evacuation Melbourne
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2022, 20:37
Colonel_Klink

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by PoppaJo
Getting a tad off topic but a few issues in Rex land at the moment.

They raised airfares. Now priced above Virgin and on par with Qantas. I don’t think that is a wise move for a number of reasons. I recall Sharpie being very vocal about pricing his business like Jetstar, with Qantas service. Now they are trying to do the latter with pricing also.

Secondly OOL is seriously underperforming, to the point that they might as well exit the market. Serious issues at hand if your only pulling 5-20 bodies per flight, and Virgin is filling a whopping 14 flights a day consistently. Virgin are currently the biggest player out of the Gold Coast to Melbourne and Sydney.
Slightly off topic…but is this correct?

If Rex are now pricing themselves above Virgin, then they are going to really struggle.

I also thought OOL was one of their better markets loads wise. That should also ring major warning bells moving into school holidays.

I’ve been amazed at the number of 73s that do seem to be parked around airports - especially when they only have 6 frames, as well as the time between turn arounds. There was a 73 that was on a 2 hour turn in MEL the other day at 8:30 in the morning.

Looks like more of their pilots are leaving to go back to Virgin. And now that QF are hiring again, they will start to lose SAAB crew too

And for something more relevant, given perhaps the maintenance issues this week on the prop fleet - how are the ATRs looking as a fleet replacement?