PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Eastern 737-800 MU5735 accident March 2022
Old 7th Apr 2022, 05:51
logansi

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightDetent
Eh, need to check with them if there used to be 3 pilots on most domestic flights also before COVID (yes). Logging the jumpseat is normal because it is an official duty, although keeping captains current for take-offs and landings first does make sense.

Not blaming the messenger, the concept of 'least painful logically acceptable explanation' is well established and sadly aims to disconnect from analytical truth / causality.
Yes 3, even 4 crew in a cockpit is relatively normal. 2 Captains almost always operating a flight while actual F/Os as rostered as jump seaters is not normal. Again whether it's the reason, in this case, is completely unknown and the other explanation if the source is correct is definitely plausible, in fact, it would take a lot less than a terrain warning GPWS callout (upsetting a F/O whom has contacts in management could get you demoted). But at the same time, I've personally witnessed a F/O pass a type rating despite descending below MDA and having to be reminded on the MDA. (Someone didn't know I understood basic mandarin i think)

Also to whomever I read above saying their sims are hard I can agree, I was part of a management group that visited one of our contract airlines pre covid - our Head of Ops was a prior 737 Captain and commented on the standard expected of cadets, especially on your more specific emergencies like runaway trim and hydraulic failure - also some near impossible combinations of failures eg. V1 engine failure and runaway trim passing 2500 feet with flaps jammed