PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2022, 22:21
Manchester Exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are no fast track security queues in Australia, unless you count a separate lane for top-tier frequent flyers. However, those lanes are rarely policed, so anyone can go in there and there's little to no benefit of joining that queue. Either way, on domestic routes you are generally through security in five minutes, maybe ten on a bad day. International routes take a bit longer to clear security, but you would normally be through within ten minutes, or fifteen on a busy day.

It has been a couple of years since I last traveled internationally, for obvious reasons, but I don't recall paid-for fast-track security anywhere in the APAC region.

The whole Manchester airport experience is generally diabolical, although it has been three years since I was last there. Broken travellators, dripping water from the ceiling, long security queues, arriving aircraft waiting for a handler to drive the airbridge, interminable baggage delays etc. It is without a doubt the absolute worst airport I've ever been to, and I have over 3 million flown miles under my belt. The tragedy of it is that it used to be a wonderful airport under previous management regimes. I worked there back in the early 90's and can be regarded as a "supporter" (which is why I read this forum every day), but it's an appalling passenger experience. I've convinced friends and colleagues to fly into Manchester rather than LHR and as a result severely tested those friendships. One wonders how much better the passenger figures would be if the management got their act together and made it a seamless, pleasant experience.

I'm flying in to Manchester on Emirates in May, and out again a couple of days later on SAS. On one hand, I'm keen to check the place out again after a three-year break, but on the other I'm despondent about what I'll experience.