PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buccaneer Low level
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2003, 18:05
eng1170

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great stories!! I loved the Bucc, and lived near Aberdeen for 7 years when I was a bit younger, our school was right under the approach to ABZ and many years were spent watching Bucc's overshoot instead of the blackboard (hence am only an a/c eng!!)

3 great memories from an infatuated schoolboy:

Lossiemouth airshow (1986?), hearing jets and turning round to see 2 Buccs coming round the tower a-la "Topgun" only lower noisier and way cooler!! Also the dummy airfield attack.

An airshow at Leuchars, again in the 80's, a Bucc coming across the airfield from the east, so low that most folk probably didn't see it stand out from the grass, (got a photo somewhere and when I had it developed I thought I'd missed the aircraft!) awesome display's everytime by the Bucc, especially in damp air.

Favourite memory was of being in a small fishing boat off Portpatrick in SW Scotland doing a spot of sea fishing when I pointed out to mates a small puff of smoke on the horizon, this VERY QUICKLY became a VERY LOW (it drew up a wake behind it!) and VERY FAST Bucc, she broke into a full 360 turn off the bow of our wee boat, rolled wings level and disappeared as fast as she appeared. I've alway's wanted to believe that we were the "victim's" of a beat-up, but what a way to see your last flying Bucc!! Still sends a cold shiver down my spine every time I think about it, what a machine.