PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar contact / Identified
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2022, 04:56
parishiltons

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Equivocal
You might take a moment to recognise that the rules in your country may not reflect those that other controllers work within.
Agree - if only we all followed ICAO!
Regarding my post, it is consistent with Doc 4444 Ch 8 ATS Surveillance Services. Note: ICAO changed the references from Radar to Surveillance some years ago.
Identification - 8.6 Surveillance System procedures -> 8.6.2.1.1 "Before providing an ATS surveillance service to an aircraft, identification shall be established and the pilot informed." So that means "ABC123 IDENTIFIED". A pilot will assume the flight remains identified until told that surveillance is interrupted or terminated. Repeating that a flight is identified on every frequency change is completely superfluous and a waste of valuable A/G time. Do you do it when a flight goes from voice to datalink? I hope not!
Interruption or termination of identification - 8.6.7.1 "An aircraft which has been informed that it is provided with ATS surveillance service should be informed immediately when, for any reason, the service is interrupted or terminated". Hence SURVEILLANCE SERVICE TERMINATED.
It's all consistent with ICAO - they are not specific rules in my country. And I reiterate, why would anyone still be using 'radar contact' when that concept is not even mentioned in ICAO? World War II is over, for anyone who hasn't noticed.

I know that aviation is a conservative industry, but that does not mean that outdated hangovers from a much earlier generation of surveillance technology and other procedures that predate by decades interconnected ATM systems should still be used.