PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crash blamed on 'turbulence' from wind farm
Old 4th Apr 2022, 19:52
markflyer6580

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not posted on here for a while but though I would add some context from the wind turbine side of things. As a day job I run an offshore windfarm. We have been doing quite a bit of work around the effects on turbulence and such so that when we are covering such big areas the turbines don’t adversely affect each other and we can get them to yaw slightly out of the way of their neighbours to increase production,they are roughly 1km apart with a 154m rotor diameter, so at full chat there is some wake from them but not as much as you would think. We are talking marginal gains (worth ££) with what the boffins get up to.

From a flying point of view we hoist on to the top of them via heli. Only once in my 7 years of heli hoisting ops has the turbulence from other turbines been too much (at a smaller windfarm with the same turbines), this was however in 50kt winds and even then it was safe enough to hoist, just a bit wild and we like to be cautious. I appreciate turbine helis are different to vintage pipers and as a 150hr lapsed PPL, I haven’t experienced it from the controls myself, but living within a couple of miles of the airfield in question I really can’t see how this incident had anything to do with local wind effects from a small onshore windfarm.

Just my 5p worth.

Last edited by markflyer6580; 5th Apr 2022 at 09:44.