PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Magazine and UKGA
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2022, 19:36
Philip Whiteman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few facts about Pilot

Pilot wasn't sold because it was under performing - quite the opposite. As its Editor since 2011 and Associate Editor (employed by the late, great 'founder' Editor proprietor James Gilbert) from 1998 to 2000) I hope you'll allow that I do know a bit about the title...

I respect all the opinions expressed about the magazine I see here, negative and positive, but simply offer a few facts for your consideration, not least being that Pilot is still written and produced by the people who were doing it in the James Gilbert era, including Peter March (Old Timers and Calendar etc) and Bob Grimstead, who not only has a regular column based on his long career with BA but wrote the Jodel D.18 flight test coming up in the May edition. 'Notes' would still be written today by my old friend Mike Jerram, were it not for his untimely death in 2019 - but his tone and accuracy in news reporting remain the editorial standard today.

We remain robustly independent, freely criticise anybody who deserves it - authority and advertiser alike - and actually do pay our writers and photographers a decent amount for their copy and images.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating: I'd urge you to sample it for yourself, rather than judge the kitchen by what may sometimes neither be the most up to date nor impartial review

Last edited by Philip Whiteman; 4th Apr 2022 at 19:49. Reason: to correct meaning of last sentence