PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2022, 11:01
Baldeep Inminj

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
How much longer are European and NATO leaders going to stand back and watch the atrocities being committed in Ukraine?

Putin must be challenged militarily as well as financially.
I could not agree more. The current NATO stance is simply reinforcing Putins belief that he can do whatever he wants as long as he possesses nukes. NATO is simply watching a massacre from the sidelines and will be judged by history as both impotent and afraid.

But there is more going on than meets the eye I think. The USA has repeatedly said that they will militarily defend Taiwan if China invades. However Taiwan is NOT a NATO member and China is a Nuclear power. Why the difference in stance? Why does Americas core ‘principled’ reason for not defending Ukraine suddenly not apply elsewhere?

I have 2 thoughts on this. Firstly it could be down to money - the US does immense trade with Taiwan and little with Ukraine. Secondly, it could simply be a bluff - if China invades and threatens Nuclear consequences for anyone who interferes, do you believe the USA will really fight?

In any event, NATO has proven itself utterly unwilling to even consider intervening against a nuclear power in Ukraine, and therefore has no moral authority to complain about anything Russia does in my opinion. Either put your money where your mouth is, or shut up.

WW3 is the inevitable consequence, it cannot be prevented other than by regime change in Russia. Putin has been given permission by NATO to do as he pleases in his view. Biden and others have repeatedly stated they will not intervene if NATO is not attacked, and that leaves an awful lot of the world available for him (and Xi) to ‘annex’. We fight him now or we fight him later after many more are massacred.