PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision involving Piper PA-44-180 Seminole, VH-JQF, and Beech D95A Travel A
Old 4th Apr 2022, 01:29
Lead Balloon

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts
The suggestions so far:

- 20nm radius of an aerodrome in G to which RPT jets operate, or

- 15nm radius of an aerodrome in G to which RPT other than jets operate,

up to 5,000’ AGL or the base of CTA, whichever is the lower.

- Mandatory carriage of radio and transponder inside (and overflying, because radio and transponders will be mandated above 5,000’ AGL (Is AGL practicable?)

- Mandatory broadcasts on entry, at specified points in the circuit and otherwise for collision avoidance.

It would therefore appear that the current Ballina BA would be extended to encompass Lismore, Evans Head, Swan Bay and Tyagarah. Is that what’s intended? What broadcasts would be mandatory for an aircraft doing circuits at e.g. Evans Head?

For all those so keen on mandatory carriage of radios and transponders, you do realise that they are both mandated for VFR aircraft in E? I don’t understand why VFR pilots are competent to comply with equipment requirements if they’re mandated for carriage in some special zone – whoops, I mean ‘area’ – in G, but somehow become dangerous gumbies incapable of complying with the same requirements if they are flying in E. For those keen on mandatory specific calls, they can be mandated as much as for E as they are for G.

I’m waiting with bated breath for the rejuvenation of the MBZ concept rebranded to MBA, so that any further transponder mandate can be avoided and the designation of any new airspace can be avoided. CASA doesn’t want to upset the sports aviation bodies or the airlines or Air Services. Fiddling with the broadcast rules for G will, as usual, help to deliver Australia’s enviable air safety record.