PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B “IN” at Ballina?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2022, 06:05
mikewil

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by triadic
Not much coverage below 3000ft https://www.airservicesaustralia.com...ds-b-coverage/. I find it interesting that there is no ADSB coverage in the Cairns area as they seem to rely on the radar there??
Looking at the maps there, it appears as if there is one stationed at Cairns (though the coverage provided by it looks a bit hit and miss).

I do take your point though, for example there isn't one at Adelaide which has a huge number of ADSB equipped GA aircraft in the area from the flight training school that does a lot of the international training down there.

Even with good radar coverage, I'd have thought it would be pretty useful for a controller to be able to see call signs of all the GA aircraft traversing around in E & G rather than just blips squawking 1200.

Amazing to think that Flight Radar 24, that uses essentially amateur receivers all over the place (mind you their receivers pick up and collate the same high integrity data that is received by Airservices ADSB receivers) provides a much more useful level of coverage than what Airservices Australia can provide their controllers. I wonder if any of them are ever tempted to get out their phone to check Flight Radar 24 to confirm the identity of something squawking 1200 or to see circuit traffic at an aerodrome with no Airservices ADSB receivers...