PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2022, 23:08
NutLoose

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by WB627
Try the M1917 Enfield, the American modified Enfield P14 of 1914 AKA the No 3 Rifle, which is still used by the Sirius Dog Sled Patrol in Greenland which is an elite Danish naval unit. They use a a bolt action rifle as it is more reliable in the extreme cold than automatic rifles, quite important when you have an angry Pola Bear who sees you as their next meal bearing (no pun intended) down on you.

I have used a P14 from 1914 re-barrelled from .303 to 7.62 and modified to single shot at Bisley at ranges up to 800yds. It is a lovely rifle to use with. It has a modified Mauser action, which is so much better than the Lee Enfield No 4 action, that I have also used, that I wondered how we ever won a war with the Lee Enfield!
The Current 7.62 Russian round was designed in 1891 and is still used.

https://guns.fandom.com/wiki/7.62%C3%9754mmR

The 7.62×54mmR is one of the oldest cartridges still in use by any military in the world, and one of the few rimmed bottleneck cartridges still in common use today.The Russian military uses it in the Dragunov SVD, as well as other sniper rifles and general purpose machine guns.