PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When do you lose the ability to fly your aircraft?
Old 1st Apr 2022, 17:08
Heston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
The C42 is a true microlight and is used extensively as a trainer - you do not need power on through the landing.
Hold the speed with attitude and maintain the sight picture with power - basic stuff - but when you come to round out/flare you want the throttle closed.
Weeell...
In the sense that it was meant above, a C42 is not a "true"microlight specifically because it can be landed more like a slightly heavier GA aircraft; that is with the throttle closed. Yes of course it is a microlight and it is widely used as a trainer, but folk who learn on it can come a cropper once qualified if they try to use the same landing technique in older designs like, say, an Xair, which definitely do need a different technique.
In any case it depends on what you mean by landing with the throttle closed. Yes flare with it closed in a C42 if you must, but don't close it a 50 feet as you come over the hedge - that might work for you in a C150 but not in a C42. I've never flown a jet so I've no idea about the correct technique in a JP.
If the only microlight you've flown is a C42 I strongly recommend getting some differences training before moving to other types (doesn't have to be an instructor, just someone you trust who knows the type).
As a general comment - it's microlight not microlite.