PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard again
Thread: Vuichard again
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2022, 15:28
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Do we really want to go down that rabbit hole again?
I would like to know something else, because I tried to find it out and failed. Vuichard claims he saves thousands of people with his(!) "new" technique. Does anybody know, how many accidents are really caused by VRS? Not SWP, VRS, the real thing. Apart from a famous accident with a Puma and one with REGA, I can't find anything. No statistics show that a significant part of the helicopter accidents are caused by VRS. If there aren't many of them, our training up till now seems adequate.
That does not mean, we can't do better, but me thinks, VRS is not something that should get so much attention.

For those of you who are so into Vuichard, let me give you some food for thought. And think about flying in the mountains, where terrain will make the decisions to take sometimes quite different.
You will encounter VRS in real life when doing steep approaches. Most of the time, you will decide on an escape route, and that one will be more or less (debatable, but the smaller the angle the better) in the direction of your approach. In the moment you feel the incipient stage of VRS, do you really want to fly in a complete other direction than your escape route?
In training Vuichard's method might be a nice trick, but in the heat of the action and reduced mental capacity stage when your helicopter begins to feel mushy in the controls, do you really think, you are capable to do that whole thing with all controls moving in a non-intuitive way?
Next one, you come in high, with a long line and a load. On the ground are people waiting for you to precisely lower the load on the spot. Because this has always been done like this, if anything goes haywire, they expect you to stay on a straight flight path. Therefore, they do not stand in your flight path, they are off to the side. Now, because this day there is almost no wind or even a slight tailwind, you feel VRS coming. Now what? You do the sidestep, but your load does not know that and follows later and now you have a load swinging from side to side you have to catch and a helicopter on a different flight path endangering people on the ground. You can't pickle the load, because you can not judge, where it will land. What now?

Or you get close to the ground, but still OGE and you feel VRS coming, but you are not quite sure, if you have enough hight AND power to save you before hitting the ground. You rather crash in a straight line or going sideways?

Remember, this is all in the incipient stage of VRS, where with both methods, you have the same outcome, which means you essentially loose the same altitude while getting out of it. Because in all these scenarios, if you let get VRS out of hand to the even remotely developed stage, your dead anyway.

If you have some ideas how to get around this, please post, because the more I think about it, the less I think, that this technique is really made for real life.