PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stretched Gazelle or B206L1 C30 for SPIFR
Old 31st Mar 2022, 08:19
spinwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mmmm ... just tuned into this (after being away for some years) ....

I did my initial Heli IFR Rating (and then my CFII) with Jet Fleet in Dallas back in '79 &'80 ... they had at that time the only FAA CERTIFIED SP IFR SA341G (stretched) Gazelle in existence.
It was a delight to fly and had a full Sperry Stabilised Autopilot system (very similar to the one as fitted in the Bell 412).
They (Jet Fleet) also had a SFENA Ministab system in a JetRanger (might have been a Longranger ?? memory fails me) which worked differently but achieved the same goal i:e a safe stable IF ride.

First Off ... good luck finding an IFR certified Gazelle on the market. To put one in the hands of a flight school for REAL IFR training will require a certified machine (insurance ??) the upkeep of which will be very pricey and being a ''one off'' will need a good 'Greeny' to keep it working well.

The reality is either the Bell product (modern and updated) or an ''all singing all dancing'' EC130 would be a better choice.

Having said that my advice born of 45 years flying in all sorts of places and flying REAL IFR OPS (in twins) is to forget using a single engine machine and go for a proper IFR equipped twin that will allow training and better still will allow for (some) Public Transport Operations which would benefit the operator.

Good Luck ... Cheers.

AND ... as an addendum .... marginal I/F flight in a complex machine with autopilot really requires a lot of familiarity with A/P mode choice and selection ... I would not recommend using a complex machine for occasional Marginal VFR scud running use will end in tears eventually.

Last edited by spinwing; 31st Mar 2022 at 08:36.