PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard again
Thread: Vuichard again
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2022, 08:00
SimonK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
As I wrote here before in previous discussions on the "Vuichard" recovery technique, the claim made is that it provides a full recovery with a height loss of 100 feet or less. How can it do that from a rate of descent of what is possibly 3,000 feet per minute or more? I've experienced VRS of around that rate of descent in a Puma and it took far, far more height to recover. The aircraft randomly pitched, yawed and rolled until we gained some forward speed by holding full forward cyclic and even then the recovery from the descent couldn't be stopped within 100 feet! During RAF rotary wing training I was shown what was purported to be VRS in a Whirlwind 10 and it was nothing like fully the developed VR state; the aircraft almost recovered by itself with very small control movements.
Same here - Puma demonstration of Incipient VRS by the wonderful "Parts" (RIP). We entered at 6500' AGL backwards and down with 0 airspeed, got a bit mushy through 500' ROD but nothing outrageous however, as we hit 800' ROD it pitched what felt like 90 degrees nose down and rolled 180 degrees, We came out about 1800' AGL fully out of balance with about 30kts IAS and about 20 degrees ND. It were horrible. Oh it was night too. No idea how many times we rolled but it was completely out of control, no ifs or buts, we ended up pointing 180 degrees from our entry heading but I think we had gone around a few times. I'm not sure if Vuichard would have been any better or not.