PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing pilot involved in Max testing is indicted in Texas
Old 31st Mar 2022, 00:24
compressor stall

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Lookleft
Compressor stall, I first did UPRT in the 90's and it was going through the industry. It was in response to the two 737 rudder hardovers. The theory being that airline pilots were not trained to deal with sudden unexpected changes in attitude and needed to be more aggressive in their handling of the aircraft. The pilots on the FBW aircraft in the fleet did not have to do this training as it was assumed that the protections on that aircraft would prevent it from ever requiring the pilots to undergo UPRT.
UPRT is generation 3 now and has expanded significantly in scope since the 90's. Comparing the current documentation to the late 90's Ansett Jet Upset Recovery Manual of which I had an old copy (until I turfed it a month ago) is chalk and cheese.

So now we have gone full circle.
I wouldn't put it like that - more like the scope of UPRT has expanded to include acquiring the knowledge to recognize and avoid upset situations and to learn to take appropriate and timely measures to prevent further divergence. It matters nought if you are fly by electrons or cable.
EBT and UPRT does not prepare you for an aircraft that has a design flaw and requires the reflexes and the thought processes of a test pilot to recover from its software malfunctions.
Not arguing the toss on that, but that also doesn't mean UPRT is a waste of time (and I'm sure you weren't implying that).

I'm still staggered that no investigative journalist has gone to town on the grandfathering safety standards of the 1960s 737 design still being produced today under the guise of "newly certified" (when it's only the change that's certified), let alone get into the skeletons that FDR is suggesting are hidden in the Chicago closet...

Bergerie1 and others yes, agree 100% that no sim can adequately replicate G. But you can replicate startle factor in a sim, should your training program allow. And you can also train techniques for resilience to the startle and surprise effect, which and the end of the day, is a very important tool in the pilot's kit.

Last edited by compressor stall; 31st Mar 2022 at 00:41.