PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civil Air changes its position?
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2022, 12:33
missy

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Geoff Fairless
Le Penguin,(Apologies in advance but someone has to say this)
To refer to Dick Smith as an enthusiastic amateur, is not only contemptible, it begs a question, in my mind, about who you think you are. A sarcastic "professional" it would seem!
If you had, given as much to Australian aviation as Dick, been so active in air safety, and held positions such as CEO of the Civil Aviation Authority, while not taking any salary, then I might listen to you.
But no, you post anonymously on a pilots' forum while bagging those who try to make a difference.
Have long look in the bathroom mirror and make a decision about who you are, before critisising those who do try to make meaningful contributions.
Geoff, as a tennis coach once said to me "never change a winning game". Dick posts a baiting title to his post, and it seems to me he's always pushing an agenda. The same old mantra, half baked system, affordable safety, calling in the blind, roadblocks, AMATS circa 1990. IMHO, you'd be better placed to cut through based on a coherent argument, excellent research and one that is well articulated.

Originally Posted by Geoff Fairless
Believe it or not, even Australian controllers will try to maintain safe separation between aircraft, regardless of the airspace classification! They are, however, hobbled in this country, by lack of surveillance and an ANSP that has to make a profit for the owner, the Federal Government. This results in an over -emphasis on the money making aspects of ATC. Where the big jets fly, oceanic, high level cruise and busy terminals areas. The rest is left to "see-and-be seen", with the help of a regulator and an investigator, that all answer to the same department and minister..
Yes, I do believe that the ATCs are hobbled by the lack of surveillance and an ANSP that has been structured with the Minister of Finance as the majority shareholder. Safety shouldn't been seen through a profit lens.

The Broderick Review into the Culture of Airservices wasn't looking at the whole picture, the safety culture at Airservices is adversely affected by this profit motive.