PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A good way to prevent runway incursion
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2022, 00:41
pineteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is just my take on it and some are recommended techniques from my outfit: If you taxi in an unfamiliar airport and you receive a taxi clearance, write it down on your scratchpad (if possible). Taxi slowly than normal and in case of any doubt stop the aircraft and request clarification to ATC. After the PM finished his read back from ATC taxi instructions, the PF must read back also the clearance out loud to the PM to make sure he understood the same think and they are on the same page. Then while taxiing the PF shall inform of his intentions like: “ Turning left on B”, “ Holding short B2”. Doing so the PM is kept in the loop and if there is a disagreement or miss understanding it will be identified early. In any cases have a good look out outside for the sake of the safety and also to identify the taxiway identification. I see too many pilots heads down on their charts trying to locate a taxiway which is visible outside from the cockpit.
When you are on final approach, make sure you know if you vacate left or right if applicable and what are the high speed taxiways you intend to use, and the taxiway parallel to the runway if applicable as usually you taxi into them. I also believe an intensive briefing is not required for taxi. Just make sure you have an idea of the 2 first taxiways you will most likely use for departure or after landing then just follow ATC instructions.