PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reliability of glass in light aircraft
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2022, 20:37
blueandwhite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are multiple failure modes in glass just as in a six pack. For example:
If your Pitot gets blocked it won't make any difference if you are glass or six pack. (well unless you are glass and have a GS read out)
If you are all electric either glass or six pack you will lose all your instruments. Unless you have a back up power supply and most aircraft do.
If you have a Vac system you may only lose a few instruments, but it will happen much more often. (And if you think you are going to be alright in IMC you will need to be very current. if you think you don't need a back up, and some do, then have a look at the accident stats. They will show you just how serious it is to lose your Vac part of your six pack.)
If you have an electric AI then it can fail on its own. Equally if you have an ADHARS it can fail on its own, its just much less common.

There is one failure mode unique to a glass screen. With a glass screen there is the chance that the the display itself will fail. In that case you will need to have your back up instruments, all aircraft with glass will be well advised to have a backup of some sort for anything mission critical. But that applied to everything be it glass or steam.

If you like a six pack, fine its not a problem. But its pretty clear a glass screen has advantages. There is good logic behind the increase in glass screens, they are better. If you don't like them fine, but that wont make them poor. They are here to stay and will just become more common. I've never heard of anyone taking out a glass set up to replace it with a six pack. I'm sure its happened. But I do know of a lot of aircraft where a six pack has been removed to be replaced by glass.

To my mind there isn't much point in comparing CAT with GA on any level, and this is no exception.

Last edited by blueandwhite; 31st Mar 2022 at 22:11.