PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Eastern 737-800 MU5735 accident March 2022
Old 28th Mar 2022, 13:58
SteinarN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N600JJ
Could this be similar to Southwest B737-700 flight 1380 in 2016 whose incident report can be found at https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/a...ort/93897/pdf?

Uncontained engine failure with a sudden left roll of a 41° bank angle leading to decompression of the aircraft, emergency descent and damage to, amongst other parts of the aircraft, wing tip and horizontal stabilizer?
I made an argument the left roll (there can be no doubt that a left roll was the start of the flight path deviation) could most likely be caused by either an uncommanded rudder movement or an engine malfunction causing the left engine to lose thrust and taking the crew by surprice. ie crew not taking action before AP disconnect in an out of trim state. Alternatively an uncontained engine failure also damaging rudder cables/controls and/or wing surfaces.
However that post have since been deleted by the mods.

I was surpriced by the number of cracked fan blades found acording the the report you are linking. That another fan blade could depart an 737NG engine can hardly come as a surprise, however I do not say with any certainty that an engine malfunction did actually happen in this accident, only that such a failure is one of the more likely reasons for this accident.

Last edited by SteinarN; 28th Mar 2022 at 14:09.