PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB release report into Malaysian A330 Pitot covers left on....
Old 25th Mar 2022, 11:22
Uplinker

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by morno
The Airbus already has a line in its before start checklist, “Gear Pins and Covers….. Removed”.

Like any checklist, unless it’s done properly, it merely becomes a response to get you to the next stage of flight. I don’t see how adding anything extra to a checklist is going to improve anything in this instance..
Yes, I know, but it is too general - we have had aircraft taking off with the engine cowls unlocked, and this one with all the pitot covers on. Pilots need to be aware of the importance of checks and checklists, not just pay lip service. (I have had the response, "full left" when I have been holding full right, during the control checks, because I deliberately do them in a different order to make sure we both are really checking properly, not just vocalising the expected answer).

If this airport has a particular problem requiring covers to be left on until immediately before pushback, then extra checks obviously need to be introduced. The pitot covers should be shown to the pilots as well as the steering pin before taxi?

(BTW, apologies, I did not realise this was an incident from 2018. Could anyone who flies there report if any new procedures are in place?